Saturday, January 21, 2006

Free at the Beginning

If we can understand the compulsion behind our desire to dominate or to be dominated, then perhaps we can be free from the crippling effects of authority. We crave to be certain, to be right, to be successful, to know; and this desire for certainty, for permanence, builds up within ourselves the authority of personal experience, while outwardly it creates the authority of society, of the family, of religion, and so on. But merely to ignore authority, to shake off its outward symbols, is of very little significance.

To break away from one tradition and conform to another, to leave this leader and follow that, is but a superficial gesture. If we are to be aware of the whole process of authority, if we are to see the inwardness of it, if we are to understand and transcend the desire for certainty, then we must have extensive awareness and insight, we must be free, not at the end, but at the beginning.

J. Krishnamurti

5 Comments:

Blogger Ruth said...

Hi. I'm new to blogging, and I wanted to greet you since we have Krishnamurti in common.

I discovered his teaching several months ago, and I feel free!

12:12 pm  
Blogger Wendy C. said...

Hi Ruth -
Free!! - that's exactly how I feel too! I found K on Public Access Television, of all things! (I'm a Public Access programmer) Amazing the difference in life once one lets go of having any guru at all!!!

Welcome to blogging!
Thanks for stopping by :-)

12:17 pm  
Blogger CE said...

J. K., my teacher,
We cannot have extensive insight in the beginning. We are all still groping in the dark. Without signposts freedom is not possible.
Do you mean to say discard everything including our capacity to think and to think for ourselves? Well, you end up being a moron. I agree, it's enlightenment and complete freedom.
In the end I agree with the zen, people, who you think are stupid. There is only this. And there is no need to philisophise.
Zzz...

5:06 am  
Blogger shiva said...

you have made a very Nice blog on Jiddu Krishnamurti Teachings

I am also a Jiddu Krishnamurti Lover and have a made a blog dedicated to Jiddu Krishnamurti teachings

http://krishnamurtidiscourses.blogspot.com/


I wanted to exchange link with your blog

Please be in touch with me at
amittre@gmail.com

best regards
Amit

8:25 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

This is a lovely site. I have been following the Krishnamurti lessons for some years now and this is a terrific forum.

Thank,
Quinn

1:01 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home